Dreaming of an Elopement in New Orleans? Whether you say "I Do" in our historic Vieux Carre, or under the magnificent live oaks of City Park, here are less fun, but very important documents you'll need to remember to bring along with you.
MARRIAGE LICENSE NECESSITIES:
- Current state ID, passport, or driver's license
- Certified Birth certificates & Social Security numbers
- Nonrefundable $27.50 for a marriage license in Orleans Parish. CASH.
- $5.50 for a copy of your Marriage Certificate
- Must be there in person to apply
- Certified Final divorce decree, if previously married
- Certified Death certificate, if widowed
THINGS TO CONSIDER:
- Louisiana residents have a 72 hour waiting period between the issuing of a license and the wedding. This may be waived by a judge - call the First City Court for more information: 504.407.0400.
- Non Louisiana residents 72 hour waiting period may be waived by an Orleans registered officiant upon application citing "serious and meritorious reasons."
- License is good for 30 days.
- Plan to get to the Second City Court by 2pm at the latest.
- Certified copies of your Marriage Certificate are not included, you must purchase a copy at a cost of $5.50.
ORLEANS PARISH MARRIAGE OFFICE
1450 Poydras St, 4th floor
HOURS: 830-3 M-F, except holidays
SECOND CITY COURT - ALGIERS POINT COURTHOUSE
225 Morgan St
HOURS: 9-3 M-F, except holidays
*arrive by 2!!!*